By CCA National Office
May is recognized internationally as Celiac Awareness Month. This year, CCA will be building awareness around the atypical (non-classic) signs and symptoms of the celiac to encourage more people to recognize the early signs of the disease.
It’s estimated that one percent of the world’s population has celiac disease and another five to six percent have gluten sensitivity. Unfortunately, only 20 percent of at-risk Canadians have been diagnosed.
Throughout the month, watch for the following events, along with our social posts, media outreach and website, for information on the atypical or non-classic signs of celiac disease. This campaign is so important because while you may know a lot about celiac disease as a member of CCA, thousands across Canada don’t and they may be unaware that their symptoms could be signs of the disease or gluten sensitivity.
We encourage you to participate in various activities being held by the national organization or at the chapter level. Share social media posts with your friends and family to increase their understanding of the disease.
Our local chapters across Canada will be helping us promote this important month.
- May 1 – House of Commons Members of Parliament asked to wear green celiac ribbons and make statements to kick off the month.
- May 10 – Schar Facebook Live Day – Join our experts and friends at Schar on our CCA Facebook page (public) throughout the day, as they’ll be talking about the atypical signs of celiac disease and how to recognize symptoms.
- May 14 – CN Tower Lighting – Join CCA National staff after dusk in Toronto to take ‘CN Selfies’ as the tower is lit up in green to commemorate the month. Be sure to tag @tourcntower and @CCAceliac and watch for the meet up time and location. Can’t be there? Share our social posts!
- May 16 – Celiac Awareness Day & Giving Day – Help us reach our $500,000 goal for the year by making an online donation to CCA National.
- May 16 – 9-10 p.m. EDT – Could my child have celiac disease? – Free webinar. Click here to register.
- May 23 – 10-11 p.m. EDT – Gluten Free 101: Getting Started on the Gluten-Free Diet – Free webinar
- May 27 – Join us at the Gluten-Free Garage in Toronto at Artscape Wychwood Barns. CCA’s Sue Newell will be a featured speaker. Stop by the CCA booth!
- May 29 – Poor Bone Health: Could it be celiac? A free webinar presented by CCA and Osteoporosis Society of Canada. Two times available: 6 pm – 7 p.m. and 9 – 10 p.m. EDT. Note: Limited to 100 participants for each time slot. Click here to register.