Chapter Meeting Minutes November 4, 2018

CANADIAN CELIAC ASSOCIATION
Kelowna Chapter Minutes
November 4, 2018

In attendance: 18 people, at the Winfield Senior’s Centre. A delicious Christmas lunch was prepared by Creative Catering.

Secretary’s Report: Nothing to report

Treasurer’s Report: Marilyn Hurst reported that as of August 31, 2018, we had $7,518.57 in our account.

President’s Report: Irene Wiseman said that the chapter needs a President, Secretary, and Treasurer to be able to continue. We would need to have at least 2 meetings a year. Irene asked if anyone was interested in taking on these positions. If we don’t get people to fill these positions, the chapter will close as of March 1, 2019. We will honour our advertising commitments, which go until the end of February 2019. Our website (done by David Fowler) will also shut down with the chapter. As it stands right now, this will be our last meeting. Selena deVries, our dietician, does Wellness groups 4 times a year. People could still get together then, or meet in their own communities for coffee/a meal. There was also a discussion about the importance of awareness, research, and labeling.

Vice President’s Report: n/a

Newsletter: The newsletter was sent out in October 2018. Barb Hicks has a change to make to the bread recipe that was in the newsletter. Barb will send the information to Marie Ablett.

Hospitality: n/a

Membership/Supplies: Not available for this meeting. Membership is dwindling.

Help-line: Nothing to report.

Product Information: There are lots of great products out now that have the CCA gluten-free certification logo on them.

National Report: The CCA has a new restaurant program, to certify places as gluten-free. The CCA does testing and gives eligible restaurants a gluten free logo. The CCA is also testing different grains and grain flours re: cross-contamination. The CCA will be moving to a smaller office, to save money.

New Business: Our chapter donated $100.00 to Melissa Secord, CCA executive director for a celiac charity run. She sent a thank you to us. We did a donation to the Salvation Army and gave money to David for doing our website. We gave $10,000.00 to Mary Young at UBCO (University of BC, Okanagan campus), to do research on the effects of celiac disease on young people. Nora Eaves sent a thank you card to the executive of our chapter. We received a generous anonymous donation today from a member – thank you to the donor. We will have an executive meeting re: leftover chapter money. We will get member input. There was a discussion about doing a donation to the Salvation Army or local food banks (we would prefer that the money was used to buy gluten-free food, if possible). Irene thanked the members and executive for coming to the meeting. We did a raffle for the door prizes and gift baskets.

Meeting Adjourned: Joan Maddison moved that we adjourn at 12:45 pm; seconded by Marie Ablett. All in favour.

May 6th, 2018 Kelowna Chapter Meeting Minutes

Our meeting was our annual Pizza dinner with pizzas supplied by Jim’s Place in Vernon. As always the 22 members in attendance all enjoyed a variety of pizzas.

Marilyn our Treasurer gave her financial report: We have $2,700.00 in our account and a GIC to come due in July. We will be donating to a research project at our local University.

Marie gave a report about the newsletter she is trying to update members about safe restaurants in the area.

Our membership is down as is happening in many chapters.

The chapter is also having an issue with members not being able to get to meetings. We are all busy with life.

Most of our executive has been on the board for many years and are putting out the word that we need members to come forward and fill the executive position at the Sept meeting. These are the positions that will need to be filled.

President, Secretary, Treasurer, It would be nice to have all the positions filled but you can still have a chapter with only these positions. You would also need to have two (2) meetings a year.

Our September meeting will be a very important meeting so I would encourage members to step up and take on these positions.

Thank you Rachel for taking the minutes for us.

I also want to thank the executive for their many years of hard work and dictation to the Kelowna Chapter.

Regards

Irene Thompson / Wiseman

 

Minutes of meeting September 9, 2012

Canadian Celiac Association LogoMINUTES OF MEETING CANADIAN CELIAC ASSOCIATION

Kelowna Chapter

Date:  September 9, 2012

 

There were 21 people (17 members) in attendance at today’s meeting. Irene Thompson thanked everybody for the potluck lunch.

Secretary’s Report:  Rachel Richardson read highlights from the May 2012 meeting minutes. Irene said that she had received a letter from Mavis Molloy, saying thank you for the recognition and the presentation that was done for her at the May conference.

Treasurer’s Report:  Ann Paterson read her report. Our total financial position as of the end of August 31, 2012 was $28,211.07. We cleared just over $6,000.00 from the conference. Some money may go back to National as a donation.

President’s Report:  Irene Thompson said that she recently sold her baking business; she can still bake bread to sell at our meetings. Please phone her before the meetings to order bread, so that she will know how many loaves to bring.

We are looking for volunteers for an upcoming event at the Save-on-Foods in the Orchard Plaza. There will be a GF display and demos from September 14-20, 2012. We need people to sit at a table from 3:00 – 6:00 p.m. each day. We will have a display board, pamphlets, and GF information sheets. Marie Ablett will have a sign-up sheet for people who are able to help.

Moyra Baxter has done some work on our chapter bylaws. We will vote on the new bylaws after the elections at our AGM in November 2012. David will put the information on the website. The number of people we need for a quorum at a meeting is under discussion. The suggested number is 10%, which would be 16 or 17 people. Moyra has paper copies of the bylaws available for those that don’t have computers. Thank you to Moyra for all of her hard work.

Moyra is on the nominating committee; anybody else that is interested can join her. Moyra gave us some information about the executive positions. Irene and Ann will continue on in their positions; we will need a new vice-president and secretary. For committees, we need somebody for awareness, membership, and publicity. Jodie Stevens, who does supplies, may not be able to continue. We also need somebody to help with the room set-up. Dave and Joan Maddison volunteered to come early to meetings to put up tables and chairs.

Vice President’s Report:  Eleanore Beattie was not able to attend today.

Newsletter:  Please let Marie know if you change your e-mail address. Marie is saving money by being able to e-mail so many newsletters now; otherwise it costs $2.50 for each mailed newsletter. Marie is generating money from the ads as well. Make sure to read the information about the new labeling laws in the most recent newsletter.

Hospitality:  Shae and Jason McCormick were not able to attend today’s meeting – thank you to those who helped to fill in.

Membership/Supplies:  There are 169 members in the chapter, but it seems that a lot of people are not renewing. We need to get the message out how our membership fees are supporting National with things such as research and the new labeling laws. There were 280 people at the conference; Moyra thanked those who helped out at the registration table. Irene thanked Moyra for all of her work with registration (unfortunately National was not able to help out with registration, as was originally thought). Moyra said that new members receive information about the tax rebate.

Help-line:  We are still receiving calls from people.

Product Information:  Nora Eaves is the new person in this position. There are some new magazines with information about the GF diet.

New Business:  Irene moved that we send David Fowler to the Mississauga conference as a thank you for all of his work with our conference. The cost would be about $1,600.00, and the funds could come out of the money we made on the conference. Susan Dawson seconded; all were in favour. Julia Brown thanked us for putting on the conference.

Next Meeting:  November 4, 2012; and the Christmas dinner will be on December 2, 2012.

Susan Dawson moved that the meeting be adjourned, Marilyn Harman seconded; all were in favour.

West Kootenay Celiac Group Minutes – February 23rd 2010

West Kootenay Celiac Group Minutes
February 23rd 2010 at 333 Victoria St
Attended by: Jane, Don, Lynda, Linda, new members: Kim, Jackie, Marilyn

1. Introductions
2. Correspondence
  • Regrets: Nell p, Jane + Sarah G, Karen, Twyla, Shirley
  • Inquires from 6 new people (2 by phone)
  • Other email from: Ellison Market – plan on doing a Gluten Free sale soon. sale on Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free oats this week
3. Lynda – reported on sourdough bread inquiry, she will start experimenting with sorghum floor soon!
4. Jane – we got an email from Outer Clove restaurant – they are interested in working with us to develop GF recipes. Jane will start working on a plan to approach the Nelson restaurants (to begin with) once she’s back in April.
A number of members reported enjoying the GF pizza at Twisted Tomato on Baker St, Nelson Going out of town and want to know where to eat or shop? check out: GF awareness program – http://glutenfreerestaurants.org/ and the gluten free registry http://www.glutenfreeregistry.com/
5. Jackie – reported on the Gluten free cooking class at the Kootenay Co-op – Margaret Engelbert Jones
did a great job!
6. Name of group – West Kootenay Celiac Group was adopted after discussion
7. Don will look into working with stores and GF products
8. Getting the word out
  • Jane sent short article to 11 papers, and posted info on 8 on-line calendars/sites
  • Don put up flyers again this month
  • Lynda will get info on people who write health columns in papers and report back next meeting

9. Funding meetings
  • room rental is free
  • drop-in toonie will be collected so we can have tea/coffee at meeting
  • currently laser printing + photocopying is being covered by Jane and Don
  • for those without email – we’ll try putting a binder in Nelson library soon, and establish email/phone buddy system
10. Canadian Celiac Association – Don will be the liason
11. Next Meeting:
Don will try get meeting room for Saturday April 10th at 1 pm stay tuned for an email from him (he will take over email acct and publicity while Jane’s away)