By Irene Thompson, President Kelowna Chapter
The Executive of the Current Executive of the Kelowna Chapter have each served in their present positions for many years and wish to step down. It is now time for new members to take on the following positions in order for this chapter to continue to serve our members in 2019.
At the November 4th. meeting we will be asking members to fill the following positions: PRESIDENT, TREASURER, VICE PRESIDENT, SECRETARY, these positions need to be filled as of December 30th. The Chapter can function with just a President, Treasurer, and Secretary. You would only need to commit to holding two meetings per year.
Please consider taking on these positions. The current Executive will help you get started. Any questions please feel free to contact Irene Thompson 250-832-7738 or e mail [email protected] for more information. You can also contact any of the other members of the executive.
I am leaving this decision up to the members to support this chapter and its members. This is not an Executive decision it is all up to you as members.
I wanted to touch base with everyone and let you all know what is happening regarding the next meetings. The executive agreed that we cancel the meeting scheduled for October 7th as that is the Thanksgiving weekend and we did not want to interrupt any plan that you may have. We will now only have our meeting on November 4th as planned. We hope to make this a special meeting for everyone and at this point we do not have those plans completed but will keep you in the loop as to what will be happening.
I am in the middle of a move and will be away from August 16th to September 15th while we move into our new home. I will be in Kamloops September 1st until the 15th so will be in the area. Marie is also busy and Marilyn will be on holidays as is Susan. As you can see we are all very busy.
I also want you to think about taking on the following positions so that this chapter can continue to grow and support members. We will need someone to take on these positions: President and Secretary-Treasurer. These are positions that need to be filled, at a minimum, in order for this chapter to move forward. It would be nice to have all the positions filled but a chapter can continue with just the above positions filled. We also need to have at least two meetings a year as well.
I will be asking for nominations to fill these positions at the meeting on November 4th so please think about serving and keep this chapter going. Contact me for more information.
I want to thank the members that have served on the executive of the Kelowna chapter for many years. GOOD JOB AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR DEDICATION AND HARD WORK!
Irene Thompson Wiseman,
President Kelowna Chapter
April 15-21 is National Volunteer Week and this year’s catchphrase captures the benefits of the activity of volunteering for the recipient organizations and the volunteers: Celebrate the value of volunteering: Building confidence, competence, connections and community.
Typically non-profit organizations rely on volunteers to fill many essential positions. Take the Kelowna Chapter as an example:
- The chapter is governed by elected volunteer board members who meet routinely through-out the year
- Celiac ambassadors answer emails, Facebook posts and phone calls
- Special event volunteers staff booths at community events
- The chapter website is managed by a tech-savy volunteer
- The list goes on
A heartfelt thank you to our volunteers. We value your generous donation of time and skills!
Volunteers can also benefit from volunteering. Volunteers can learn new skills, build confidence, make connections with others and build community. Along the way they have fun, meet new people with similar interests and build a community of support.
Celebrate the value of volunteering by helping out with one of the many positions at the chapter. To find out more about how you can help contact Irene Wiseman at [email protected] or call 250-832-7738
At our Annual Central Meeting (AGM) we managed to fill all the Kelowna chapter executive positions except for Vice-President. We are looking for someone to step forward and fill this volunteer position.
Here are some of the duties of the Vice-President:
- You report to the President.
- You fill in for the President should she or he not be able to attend a meeting or for any other reason is not able to carry on in the position of President.
- Help other executive members who require assistance.
- Attend meeting both chapter and executive meetings. (We currently only have 2 chapter meetings a year plus a get together at Christmas. The meetings are held in Winfield at the senior centre.)
- Be involved in the decisions involving the chapter.
- We hope that the Vice-President would consider taking on the position of President after the term of the President was over in 2018.
Please consider this position.
If you have any question please feel free to contact Irene Wiseman, Chapter President at [email protected] or 250 832 7738.
Kelowna Celiac is looking to fill two volunteer executive positions:
If you have a few hours to spare each month to update our site with our latest events and announcements, please email [email protected]. Our website uses the easy to use WordPress content management system and our previous webmaster is available anytime for questions and training. If you are thinking of increasing your web skills, this might be a good fit. For more details see the document Kelowna Chapter Webmaster Duties
Awareness and Publicity
Kelowna Celiac is also looking for an “Awareness and Publicity” volunteer to promote awareness of our chapter and chapter events, Celiac Disease and Gluten Sensitivity. An especial emphasis takes place in May during Celiac Awareness Month. The position’s scope is as large or as little as you have time for. For more information, please email Irene at [email protected]
By Moyra Baxter
To raise awareness about Celiac Disease and Gluten Intolerance, the Kelowna Chapter of the Canadian Celiac Association will be setting up information booths in our region during the month and we need your help to hand out brochures and tell people where they can get more information. We would like two people there at all times, and will place new volunteers with experienced ones.
We need volunteers for the following:
- Saturday, May 4th. Orchard Park Mall
- Saturday, May 18th, Choices Market
If you are able to give up an hour or two on either of those days, please call or email me.
Think of it this way – you can combine shopping and volunteering and feel good about it!
Our volunteer executive has an opening for a membership coordinator…
Membership Coordinator Responsibilities
A more detailed Job Description is available. The following is an outline.
1. To keep up to date lists of all active Kelowna Chapter members.
- This information is received by email from the National Canadian Celiac Association Office:
- Bi-Weekly Report
- New members listed nationally by Chapter
- Quarterly Report includes
- Current member list
- Inactive member list
- New member list
- Up to date information may also be accessed through a computer “remote connection” to National’s database.
- A confidentiality agreement must be signed with National, as the information received from National must be used in an appropriate manner.
2. To send out welcome letters to all new members, either by email or by regular mail.
3. To provide the Chapter Newsletter Editor with updated lists of members, to be used expressly for the distribution of newsletters and other Chapter information.
4. To report the Membership numbers to the Executive and at Regular Meetings, and also through the Chapter Newsletter.
5. To provide names of members to the Satellite Groups so they can contact those members regarding local meetings.
6. Most new and renewal memberships go straight to the National Office. Some come directly to the Membership Coordinator. If it is convenient to process them locally, and deliver a New Member’s Package to them directly, there is a process which is to be followed. Have Membership Forms and Packages available at the Potluck lunches and Meetings.
7. Confirm that there is a Quorum of members at meetings where votes will take place.
8. To attend Executive Meetings, held at the call of the President.
In addition to membership coordinator we are also looking for volunteers for the following executive positions:
Questions? Interested in volunteering? Please email Chapter President Irene Thompson at [email protected]